Sunflower seed butter is creamy, versatile, delicious, and it’s an awesome substitute for nut butter. This recipe from Oh She Glows is more than just plain ground sunflower seeds—it also features cinnamon, coconut sugar, and coconut oil. It tastes amazing!
As a great source of fiber, essential vitamins, and minerals, sunflower seeds are one of the healthiest seeds. Half a cup provides vitamin E, B6, folate, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, manganese, and zinc. Some research suggests sunflower seeds are a heart healthy functional food because they contain phytosterols, phytonutrients that promote normal cholesterol levels.
Sunflower Seed Butter Recipe
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Cook time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 16 ounces
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper (optional)
- Food processor or blender
- 3 cups of organic, raw, unsalted, shelled sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup organic coconut (palm) sugar
- 1 tbsp organic unrefined coconut oil
- Pinch of Himalayan crystal salt
- 1/2 tsp organic cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spread sunflower seeds in a single layer on a baking sheet (preferably lined with parchment paper) and place in the oven. Seeds are ready once they have a golden hue, about 10-15 minutes depending on your oven. Watch closely so they don’t burn.
- Allow roasted seeds to cool a few minutes, then pour into food processor. Discard any burnt seeds.
- Process seeds on high until they have a loose, grainy consistency, about 2 minutes. Use a spatula to push the powder down. Add coconut oil in dollops and process until fully combined, about 2 minutes.
- Scrape the bowl down with a spatula. Evenly add remaining ingredients to the food processor. Process for 2-4 minutes. The sunflower seed butter will look chunky at first but will get smoother the longer it’s processed. Process the mixture until you reach the desired consistency.
- Use a spatula to scrape butter into an airtight container and refrigerate for about 2 hours before using (it will remain spreadable). The sunflower seed butter will stay fresh for about two months in the refrigerator.